Pet Diagnostic Services
Home • Small Animal Care • Pet Diagnostic Services
At Veterinary Medical Center, our veterinarians utilize advanced technology to aid them in the diagnosis of many medical conditions. Our diagnostic equipment includes:
- Digital Radiology (X-Rays) We take an x-ray of your pet’s injury or area of concern so we can better diagnose your pet’s condition. X-rays help our veterinarians evaluate muscular-skeletal, cardiovascular, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, reproductive and urinary systems. X-rays are performed, processed and interpreted while you wait. The image quality of a digital x-ray is much higher than a film x-ray and there is no time lost in processing the image. The digital images can be visualized within a few seconds following exposure, allowing us to diagnose and treat your pet rapidly. Digital radiology is environmentally friendly because there are no chemicals to contaminate water systems and it decreases radiation exposure to your pet as images can be manipulated via a computer.
- Digital dental radiology Digital dental radiography allows us to visualize the internal anatomy of your pet's teeth along with the roots and surrounding bone. This allows us to diagnose bone loss or hidden disease that may be present in the tooth roots and jawbone areas that may not have been visible during our thorough oral exam prior to the dental procedure.
- Ultrasonography Ultrasound is a diagnostic imaging technique that allows us to look at and recover samples for testing from the organs of the abdomen or chest such as the liver, kidneys, spleen or heart in 3-D. Veterinary ultrasound is a painless, non-invasive and safe tool allowing visualization of tissues not otherwise possible. Pregnancy exams for your dog or cat are also available.
- Video Endoscopy Endoscopy allows our veterinarians to visually examine your pet's internal organs and body parts without invasive exploratory surgery. It is a minimally-invasive technique for performing procedures through natural openings in the body or through one or more tiny holes rather than through large incisions. Endoscopy is performed with either a rigid or flexible fiber optic instrument. High-tech fiber optics permits direct visualization and biopsies of your pet's gastrointestinal system. This allows for more accurate diagnosis and treatment of oral, esophageal, stomach, colon, and even upper intestinal tract disease. In some cases, foreign objects may be removed without the need for surgery. Tissue samples may be taken as well. Endoscopic procedures offer their patients less pain, minimal recovery time and fewer complications. In many cases we perform an endoscopic procedure as an outpatient procedure, a less painful and traumatic alternative for both patient and owner. We can perform such procedures as colonoscopy and gastroscopy.
- In-House Laboratory We have an in-house state of the art laboratory for diagnostic testing which gives us test results right away. This gives us quick and precise information needed to manage your pet’s medical needs. We can run complete blood chemistry panels, urinalysis to check for kidney and bladder health, and fecal analysis for the presence of parasites. We are able to share the results of these tests with you in a few minutes and can respond immediately if treatment is needed.
- Blood Pressure Equipment Accurate blood pressure monitoring assists our veterinarians in assessing your pet’s condition during critical life-threatening times, anesthesia and shock, as well as giving us a base line blood pressure reading in comprehensive physical exams.
- ECG Monitoring and Testing We use ECG monitoring during surgery to provide the safest surgical procedures for your pet. Our system monitors blood pressure, respiration, heart activity, oxygen saturation and temperature. We also utilize ECG to evaluate your pet’s heart functions. This non-invasive tool reveals underlying heart conditions by measuring the electrical activity of the heart.